Friday, January 30, 2009

More...

It's almost 10pm. The girls and I just got home from the hospital. We were able to see Steve for a few minutes in ICU. All things considered, he looks pretty good. The doctors reconstructed his jaw and it looks very good! The swelling has not started yet and they expect that to begin getting bad tomorrow. 

As planned, they removed Steve's jaw and reconstructed it with the fibula bone from his left leg. I am amazed what they can do! They did remove some more of his tongue. The good news is they did not have to take all of Steve's bottom teeth. They left about a fourth of them on the bottom left side. This means they did not have to cut all the nerves on that side and so Steve might be able to chew on that side eventually. Of course, we will have to wait to see if he can re-learn how to swallow first. 

Steve has a trachea, but that is just temporary until the swelling goes down and he is able to breathe normally. He has a feeding tube in his stomach. He has had one of these twice before, so we know how to deal with that. We are thankful that this allows Steve to keep up his strength and energy while healing since eating is not an option right now.  Steve has a splint on his leg and that will take time to heal also. A skin graft was taken from his upper leg and used to repair the lower leg. 

The girls and I handled things pretty well today. We were fortunate to have family and friends with us in the waiting room to help the long day go by faster. Everything always seems so surreal until I see Steve after surgery. Then I lose it. To see my big, strong, brave and loving husband in so much pain,  with the effects of surgery all around him, is so very hard. 

Please pray for Steve to be as pain free as possible and to get some good, healing sleep. I have written several blogs over the last few days, including a note from Steve, so you might want to scroll down and catch up if you haven't already. Remember: God is Good...All the Time!!  

6 comments:

Kay Dew Shostak said...

Thinking of you and praying for all the things you asked. So many people asked about Steve today. So many people were just waiting to hear how things went. You all amaze me!
Kay Shostak

Anonymous said...

Good morning. Thought of you and prayed all day yesterday. Will continue today.

Cindy said...

You are all in our prayers. Let me know if I can provide rides for the girls anywhere. Lisa I'm praying that you are getting sufficient rest to take care of everyone else.

Cindy Webb

David Sutton said...

My men's prayer group that meets on Thursday mornings prayed for Steve and your family. And yesterday, all of you were in my thoughts and prayers almost all the time. I've been lifting him and you up to God's care. I will keep praying for Steve's healing. God is good all the time, and I know he will see you all through this.

Larkin Hays said...

Hi Steve and Lisa,

My heart is heavy knowing what you are going through. My bible study group is praying for you guys too. God makes up such a mighty difference and my prayer is that you feel His grace that is suffient if we bring it all to Him. Praying for your recovery. Please know that I am around and available to help in any way possible if you are at work Lisa. Thinking of you so often. Larkin

Red54 said...

Bowman Family - God answers prayers and you have so many people praying for you! From Seattle, Michigan, Colorado, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, Georgia and the list goes on and on. May God continue to give you strength & healing and most of all his love. We are here for you.

The Ittners