Friday, April 24, 2009

Friday, Apr 24

Once again, we have had a busy week. We have had 2 very strong storms. The one yesterday really took a toll on our vegetable garden. Hopefully it will all perk back up. 

Alli had her 12th birthday on Wednesday. I took her and 3 friends out for an Italian dinner tonight. They are all downstairs singing and watching movies right now. She seems to have enjoyed her birthday! 

This week was CRCT State testing for us. It makes for a long and stress filled week for everyone involved. Thank goodness it will be over on Monday. 

Steve has had a rather long week too. His cough has continued all week long. He went to the doctor today to see what can be done for his cough and his sleep-ness nights. He is now on 2 new medicines. One of them (who knows which one!) is already making him dizzy to the point of fainting again so we will see how it goes. When he got on the scale today, he had lost more weight!!! It is just so frustrating. I'm looking forward to summer so I can be here to make sure he is getting enough calories during the day. The nighttime feedings won't help if he isn't getting enough during the day! 

Steve is feeling very down and out. He is at the stage of apologizing for being a burden to us all. He is very frustrated because he has not seen any marked improvement in quite a while. I am working on finding a speech pathologist who specializes in swallowing therapy. I am hopeful that this will be helpful to Steve. I figure this whole process is much like grieving. Steve will go through an entire gamut of thoughts, feelings and emotions. All we can do is love and support him along the way - and pray without ceasing of course. 

I have struggled with a couple of things the past few weeks. I am still working with the insurance company to try to get them to pay for Steve's formula. It is such a red tape process! Speaking of which, I finally finished and sent in a Social Security Disability form for Steve. Boy, was it long and tedious. Unfortunately, he really could not help me. His throat has been hurting so much that he hasn't been able to talk much, and his thoughts are not really focused either. Now, we wait. I sent in an application to get help paying the insurance deductibles, but have not heard anything yet. 

And lastly, I have been fretting about the need to teach summer school to make some extra money this summer. After praying about it  I really feel that this is something I cannot do. I need to spend my summer taking care of Steve. If any of you know of any work I can do over the summer from the house, please let me know. I am actually pretty computer savvy and can type well too. It's not that I don't want to work, I just feel the need to be home with Steve to oversee his food and medicine. 

Do you ever find it hard to not worry about the future? I am constantly thinking and planning ahead. Many times I forget to stop and smell the roses despite the message of God's word : ) Please continue to keep us in your prayers. Thank you for all your support!

1 comment:

Kay Dew Shostak said...

I know it takes a lot for you to put all this out, but we are praying for you. Also I hope it helps you to write it down. I will be trying to think of something you can do from home this summer as I agree you need to be there for your family and get you all over this hump. Let me know if I can help in anyway. You amaze me and you are showing your girls what being a real woman looks like. It's a gift to them, a bittersweet one, but a gift nonetheless. Crawl up into Jesus lap and let him love on you today.
Kay