Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

I hope that each of you is enjoying this Mother's Day weekend. I know at my house we had a fabulous spa day with facial masks, foot baths, paraffin wax and make overs! Have you ever realized how messy oatmeal and honey really are? And those cucumber slices really do NOT stay in place - ha! 

Steve has had a busy day today. He was at church from 8:30am to 12:30pm. He spoke at both services to give our thanks to everyone for their love, prayers and support. He played the bass guitar at the second service!  He was very good, and looked so at ease and at home up there on the "stage". What a wonderful Mother's Day gift - Steve, Becca, and my dad all performing in the praise band!

This afternoon, Steve was able to speak with his mother. Many of you know that she is in a nursing home in Virginia. She has dementia and has a hard time putting complete thoughts together. It meant the world to Steve that he could talk to her, and that she could understand him. She sounded as if she were crying. I wonder if she realizes how long it has been since she has heard his voice, and what a blessing it is that he is able to speak after all he has been through.

Steve stayed fairly busy this week. He worked in the garden and in the yard. He worked in the house. He got this downstairs tool room/office  straightened up. The back porch is looking much less cluttered now. Despite a couple of setbacks this week, Steve is determined to keep his roofing company going. I am just praying that God will guide him and give him a way to support his family while he continues to heal. He needs (as we all do) to feel productive and have worth in this world. He needs to know that he is useful and needed and that his life has a purpose. I need him to get better and be around for a loooong time. I know God has a plan, if only we can be patient and keep to his path. 

I continue to struggle with the insurance red tape. I am continually amazed how God continues to provide for us through the generosity of all of you. God bless you for that. We are all looking forward to the end of this school year. I am hoping that with more time, I can find a good speech therapist for Steve so that he can work on his swallowing issues. 

There are so many people on our hearts right now. Our prayers are filled with the needs of so many. I ask that you add a few of these to your prayer list. I know that all of you prayer warriors have helped us through all of this and can help them too. Please pray for Kelly Tadeo and  her family (her cancer has returned after a year of remission), for Brad Reed and his family (he is undergoing chemotherapy for a brain tumor), and for my sweet Girl Scout, Emily Mikkelson and her family (Emily will have major heart surgery on June 5th - her family is an important part of our lives and she is such a brave young girl!)

On this Mother's Day, I pray that you are well and are aware of how much you mean to us. May God give you special blessings this week. 

No comments: