Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Message from Lisa

I don't know how many of have the privilege of truly knowing Steve. If you do, you are one of the lucky ones. He is an amazing man. I for one feel that my life has been blessed and touched by his love, kindness, generosity, and of course his humor. I was in Steve's tool room/ office early this week and saw an old plaque he has posted in there. On it is STEVE: "Crowned One", "The LORD is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation. Psalm 118:14". This pretty much describes Steve perfectly. He is so full of faith and trust. 

Did you realize that Steve has not been able to eat or drink anything since the day before his surgery (on Jan 30th)? He is still getting his nutrition through his feeding tube. Did you know that he has very little tongue left? ...cannot lick his lips? Cannot pucker up to kiss? Cannot wet his finger to separate papers? Did you realize that he cannot take Holy Communion? Did you know he has a huge scar on the side of his leg (someone asked him if he was in a motorcycle accident!)? Did you know that Steve drools constantly and has a really hard time talking clearly. He deals with so many things every day, and yet he still keeps his faith and hope. 

Although he gets down and out sometimes, like we all do, he still gets up each morning and faces the day with a positive attitude. Do you do that everyday? I know I don't. I work hard to keep upbeat. My smile helps me a lot. Steve is such an wonderful inspiration, although he would say differently. 

I don't know what you are struggling with in your life right now, but I do know that God is right there with you. Are you feeling like Job? We all have those times. As we struggle with the day to day stuff, worrying about lack of money, time, energy, health, and life in general, please remember that the one who created you is always there for you. Just reach out to Him and find some quiet time to spend with Him. Praise Him for everything in your life, the big and the small, the good and the bad. (You might want to read Psalm 103:1-5.) And say a special prayer for Steve today. Maybe send him an email to let him know how much you love him or how you are proud of him, or how you are praying for him. We all need to hear those good words - right?

(stevebowman@bellsouth.net) 


No comments: