Friday, February 13, 2009

And enter the nurse (me?!?)

It's been a busy couple of days. Steve has been doing a whole lot of sleeping. I am working to keep up with his medicines, feedings, dressing changes, nurses, supplies... need I go on - ha! My main concern right now is his nausea. I am supposed to be feeding him 5 cans a day but his stomach isn't cooperating. We are slowing down on the food so that he doesn't get sick anymore (it's very painful and weakening when he vomits!), but I worry about keeping his strength up. 

Also, he acts very groggy and "drugged up". I hate to see him that way. I miss his personality. We had a visiting nurse today and she thinks that he just needs to catch up on all his sleep. The doctor told me to lower his pain medicine now so that should help. Steve has not needed as much since we got home, so that is a good thing! I know that I am expecting too much from Steve because he has always bounced back so quickly in the past. His mantra is "if you lay down you stay down". But, this one is going to take longer. He is not pushing himself like he usually does, so that has me a little concerned. Time is the healer - I just need to be patient. 

I'm becoming quite the nurse if I do say so myself! I think I'll add that to my resume - although Steve would beg to differ I'm sure!! 

No comments: