Monday, February 2, 2009

A little improvement today : )

Thanks to all our faithful prayer warriors out there, we had a better day today. Steve is now off of the ventilator! They should be moving us to a room either later tonight or tomorrow morning. Steve's nausea was not a problem today, and he seems more comfortable overall. His leg is not the focus of his pain now, which seems like progress. His jaw is what seems to be hurting him today. He is starting to move around a bit in the bed from restlessness. 

Even though he is terribly frustrated and is still in pain, his sense of caring for others and his humor shine through. Since this is a University hospital, we have interns visiting constantly. Steve's surgery is new to all of them. He continually asks me to volunteer for them to learn from him by examining his mouth. He is writing notes to everyone and gets frustrated when we can't read his writing or understand his hand signals. He actually told me that I "suck at charades"!! I told him he had detention for using that terrible word and being mean to me - ha (the teacher in me comes out all the time)!!! 

All in all, it has been a good day. The doctors are pleased with Steve's progress so far. Hopefully they will begin feeding him through his peg tube tomorrow. He keeps saying he's hungry, bless his heart. 

I am so thankful for all of you! Have a great evening. Rest in the Lord.


3 comments:

Michael Bennett a.k.a Big Unit said...

Lisa:

Hey, it's Michael, Charlotte and Ingrid. Please tell Steve we love him and want him to heal fast. We pray every night for your family and give praise for Steve's strength.

Let me know when I can come visit. I'm hoping to come see Steve on Friday afternoon if that works.

As always, let us know what we can do to help.

Love to all of you,

Michael, Charlotte and Ingrid

Amy Suggs said...

Lisa - We have been keeping up with Steve via your blog - you are so thorough!! I am so glad to hear that Steve is feeling a little better today. We have been praying for you in our care group at Church - yes, God is good!! Also, glad to hear that Steve is able to keep up his humor through all of this.
Take care - thoughts for you, Steve, and the girls
Amy

Jane Rosser said...

Lisa, I am so glad that Steve had a good day. I have been thinking of you and your family so very much this week. Here's to much more improvement soon! Know that you are loved and blessed. : ) Jane