Thursday, February 12, 2009

Steve is home!!

Steve came home yesterday afternoon! I was able to get him settled, get all the medicines (with help from my dad!) and get him started on a routine. He seems to have slept fairly well. The pain medicine they have him on has him talking in his sleep and waving his hands in the air as he talks : ) It is actually quite entertaining - ha! It is so good to have him home again. We all feel so much better now. 

As Steve said in the car, this is the beginning of our next step in this journey and we should focus our prayers on the healing and adapting now. His speech can be understood if you really concentrate and he slows down and enunciates. The girls are having trouble understanding him still, but in time they will be able to follow what he is saying. When he is asleep, I can't understand anything because it is slurred. (And I was hoping to hear some good secrets too!) 

Steve cannot swallow yet of course, but he believes that will come in time. He is getting around the house fairly well on his crutches. His leg is healing and while it is still painful, it is not as painful as it was. His trache hole will slowly close up. Steve has a red spot on the inside of his right arm from an IV site. It has gotten infected so they gave him some antibiotic. I wonder if this was the cause of his fever? 

I woke up yesterday with a sore throat. I bought some of that zicam stuff while I was at the pharmacy. Hopefully this will keep an illness at bay. I cannot afford to get Steve sick, or to be sick myself for that matter. I am off of school until Monday so I can get him all settled. By then he will be able to do most of his feedings on his own. I can still handle the morning pills, and the dressing changes on his leg and neck. 

While I pray for Steve's recovery and for strength for us all, I continue to pray for blessings on all the nurses and doctors, as well as all of you who have been praying for us and supporting us in so many ways. 

Here is my email again just in case: lkb0282@bellsouth.net. Have a great day!

No comments: