Tuesday, February 3, 2009

We're in a room : )

Steve had a bit of a rough time last night for a couple of hours due to pain and discomfort. Thankfully, we had another dedicated nurse who got him over the hump and even helped him improve some. She was "johnny on the spot" with the pain medicine. She sat Steve up so his head was elevated. By morning, his swelling had gone down a noticeable amount, his color was better and he looked more comfortable. About 3pm this afternoon they moved Steve to a room. I was nervous about the transition because the ICU had really done such a good job. The ICU nurse took us up and explained everything to the floor nurses - even how much to raise Steve's head : ). The move took a lot out of him, but he is so glad to be in a room with windows. He feels he has made progress!

They started feeding Steve late this afternoon. This will help his energy and strength level. His stomach has felt nauseous today because it is so empty. Each day brings a little more progress. We are encouraged that the doctors keep saying everything looks great. They had to remove about a third of the tongue that he had left, but he was able to move it around a little today! He constantly amazes us all by his strong will to live and recover! 

In my devotional this morning, one of the verses from 2 Corinthians stood out to me. "Let light shine out of the darkness." I thought of this whole experience we have had, especially the last 16 months. Each and every time that we have darkness, God uses it to shine His light. I like to believe that he takes the bad and makes good out of it. I have faith he will do this for us once again. 




4 comments:

Connie Kirshner said...

Lisa,
I am continually amazed at how well you and the girls are holding up under such a stressful situation. You are inspiring! Please share my "get well wishes" to Steve.
Love,
Connie KIrshner

Kay Dew Shostak said...

You folks are our light! And how you keep shining is amazing. You are in our prayers and I'm so glad Steve can now see outside. I'm saying a special thanks for all those things I take for granted - like windows. Lisa - know you are being surrounded by so many prayers and good thoughts. Keep shining!
Kay

Chris and Chuck Keith said...

I'm so glad to hear of the positive progress. Chuck and I keep praying for his continued healing, and for decreasing pain. Thank you for being such a stupendous visual of faith in action!

Chris

Carmen chapman said...

Lisa,
I'm so glad to hear that Steve did well with the surgery and is off the vent. Please know that I think of you and your family daily. My thoughts and prayers are with you.